It’s hot out there. And in 30 or so states here in the U.S., deadly hot. So the Son and I whipped up a batch of these (by Skip to my Lou) in chocolate and black raspberry on a 115 degree heat index day, and I must say they are fantastic. They’re easy, the cookies are fabulous by themselves, and if you stick the sandwiches in the freezer, they don’t get brittle or soggy. Luh-huv.
The Best Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1/2 gallon ice cream (the block kind)
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Mix together dry cake mix, 1/2 cup oil and 2 eggs. Stir in chocolate chips. Use a spoon to make balls of dough, and place them on a greased baking sheet. This recipe makes 20 cookies.
2. Bake cookies at 350 for about 11-13 minutes. They should be soft.
3. Chill the cookies completely before making ice cream sandwiches, but eat a few warm too.
4. Slice the ice cream into about 1 inch slices.
5. Using a glass the same diameter of your cookie, cut out a circle of ice cream.
6. Immediately place ice cream disc between two cookies and freeze!